For over 20 years Dr. Umhau was a senior clinical investigator at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Self-belief is not all-or-nothing, and the approach to it as such is futile. If you’ve got 1%, plant it and grow towards the 100% you’re aspiring to. The internet is full of self-guided therapy, and I am here for it. I love a strongly-worded self-belief post as much as anyone else.
- You can focus on short-term sobriety, staying sober for 24 hours at a time.
- So, for this milestone, I’d like to share some insight about the program of Alcoholics Anonymous based entirely on my own experience.
- That was the hardest decision I’ve had to make in my recovery.
- You are asked to surrender control to a higher power, which may or may not be based on faith.
- I worked with a sponsor and did the Steps, which gave me tons of invaluable insight into myself and my experience.
That said, there are many options to consider if you want to quit drinking without Alcoholic Anonymous. You can as well get professional help from a rehabilitation center. Online resources, such as podcasts and blogs, can also provide support and inspiration. It requires dedication, commitment, and a willingness to seek out alternative methods of support. Remember that Recovery is a journey, not a destination, and it’s okay to stumble along the way.
The Ultimate Guide: What Is the Best Definition of Sobriety?
Relapse of any chronic diseases, like asthma and diabetes, can and do occur throughout a person’s lifetime. You nor your loved one are under any obligation to commit to an Ark Behavioral Health treatment program when calling our helpline. Even if you choose not to do AA, that doesn’t mean you have to fight your addiction alone. A counselor can address your personal issues and hold you accountable for your addiction. Using meditation, you can discover the triggers behind your addiction.
- One way to do this is to practice mindfulness, which can help you stay present and aware of your thoughts and feelings.
- You can as well get professional help from a rehabilitation center.
Some aren’t comfortable with surrendering control to a higher power, or declaring themselves “powerless” over alcohol. Others feel recovery is a private experience, and don’t want to share their struggles with people they https://ecosoberhouse.com/ don’t know. Still others feel uncomfortable with the label “alcoholic,” or simply want to cut back—not quit completely as AA requires. Finally, treatment for alcohol use disorder (AUD) isn’t limited to the 12 steps.
Refer a loved one
There is no shame in admitting that you need to go back in your recovery! Sometimes, you need to take a step back before moving forward. CBT is one of the best ways to treat drug or alcohol abuse. stay sober without aa This scientifically proven treatment teaches you how to regulate your emotions and end self-destructive cycles. Drug and alcohol abuse is often caused by problems in personal relationships.
Our needs change, so our need for various support systems and interventions evolve as well. For those who are able to maintain one pathway to foster their recovery, that’s great. We need to support our individual right to a self-directed recovery, and no one should shame you into taking a pathway that no longer works for you. Alcoholics Anonymous is an organization different from most. There is no hierarchy of leadership, nor are there any set rules for membership.
Getting Sober Without AA—What Are Your Options?
This means that scientific research and evidence are used to support the techniques and methods that are promoted through this model. Because one of the underlying premises of recovery is hope, seeing people who have made the journey into long-term recovery inspires others who are beginning their own journey to recovery. They will, therefore, resort to drinking in order to forget the harsh reality for a while. Once you feel stressed, take your album and go through your childhood photos. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) are two types of therapy that have been shown to be effective in treating addiction. Regular exercise can help improve your mood and reduce anxiety.
But beyond that, Tell Better Stories is forming a community of women who understand that lifestyle media and female-centric marketing promoting alcohol is highly problematic. The free iOS/Android app can connect you to other sober people all across the world. It’s a great way to get to know others in your neighborhood—or anywhere else! It reinforces the community aspect of recovery, helping you surround yourself with others who have the same goal, so you’ll be more likely to stick to it yourself.
Looking at old photographs may help some people stay clean and sober. This especially may help if people are thinking about taking a drink of alcohol. Sometimes, in recovery, people may feel run-down, tired, and unhappy.
- If you’re involved in a 12-step program, you likely already know the importance of milestones.
- Sobriety means not being under the influence of a substance.
- They also feature a newsletter and plenty of resources (such as city updates and personal stories for inspiration) for those who want some additional information online.
- One common thread throughout all of their experiences is a sense of guilt and fear when they leave.
- I don’t want to be one of those people who march back into AA after one day sober, tail between their legs.
- Exercise releases endorphins, which are natural mood boosters.
Another way to stay sober without AA is to exercise regularly. Exercising can produce endorphins such as serotonin and dopamine. These substances are chemicals in your brain that help you feel happiness, pleasure, and satisfaction. If these emotions become excessive, they can hold you back from recovery. If you are trying to maintain a sober lifestyle, those feelings can become toxic and contribute to relapse if you don’t deal with them properly.